Friday, January 09, 2009

iPhone Reading

Doug gave me an iPhone for Christmas and I have been enjoying getting to know it. There is so much one can do with this little gadget besides talk on it. It is amazing. I even downloaded "Pilgrim's Progress" and without carrying around a book I can pull it out of my purse and read while I wait for Doug in the car.

Here is a part that I really enjoyed reading:

Now I saw in my dream, that the highway up which Christian was to go, was fenced on either side with a wall, and that wall was called Salvation. (Isaiah 26:1) Up this way, therefore, did burdened Christian run, but not without great difficulty because of the load on his back.

He ran thus till he came at a place somewhat ascending, and upon that place stood a cross, and a little below, in the bottom, a sepulchre. So I saw in my dream, that just as Christian came up with the cross, his burden loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble, and so continued to do, till it came to the mouth of the sepulchre, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.

Then was Christian glad and lightsome, and said, with a merry heart, "He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death." Then he stood still awhile to look and wonder; for it was very surprising to him, that the sight of the cross should thus ease him of his burden. He looked therefore, and looked again, even till the springs that were in his head sent the waters down his cheeks. (Zech. 12:10)

....

....

Then Christian gave three leaps for joy, and went on singing--

"Thus far I did come laden with my sin; Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in Till I came hither: What a place is this! Must here be the beginning of my bliss? Must here the burden fall from off my back? Must here the strings that bound it to me crack? Blest cross! blest sepulchre! blest rather be The Man that there was put to shame for me!"

Does that bring back the first day of your salvation? It did for me! Salvation is incredible when you think about it. God planning a way to bring mankind back to Himself after mankind stepped away from Him. He is so loving. I hope that your heart can realize that too.

We have been in a deep freeze here and it just does not want to let up! Hoping for it to get warmer in the next few days.

4 comments:

Susannah said...

"Then Christian gave three leaps for joy, and went on singing--"

LOL, what a joy-filled line. It's the perfect way to celebrate our salvation. Love it.

Stay warm my friend. :~D

Faith said...

Congrats on your iphone! My hubby wanted one but I bought him a Wii instead...I figure it is better for his health! (he needs to work out way more!!! lol)

Love this portion from PP. Thanks for sharing it.

Joy said...

My husband loves that book. We even got a childrens edition so our 9 year old could read it.
Joy

Farrah said...

My son is 8, and he loves that story! It's probably the children's edition.