Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Painting, Umbrellas, and Walks


Walk to The Point

Gramma with Great Granddaughter Raegan Mae.

Mom Painting By Number

I am enjoying having my Mom spend time with me in my home. She has never stayed in my home and visited so this has been a fun time for me.

We have taken short walks outdoors enjoying Alaska's golden fall. Once we walked with umbrellas, in the rain. She has trouble walking on uneven ground so we ended up walking arm in arm with our umbrellas fighting for the honor to cover our heads. I ended up with Mom's rain dripping on to my shoulder. I will never forget the fun we had walking and resting on our 'neighbors' porch swing.

We are painting too. We can visit while we paint. "Uh-uh," she said today as she realized she painted in the wrong spot.

We have enjoyed sitting on the deck watching ducks and loons while we ate a simple meal of salmon spread on wheat bread, grapes, chocolate chip cookie and hot tea.

Tonight Mom and I watched movies. We watched Hanging Up and In The Pursuit of Happyness. I made popcorn and as Chris Gardner's wife left him Mom commented, "She does not even stay with him." "She's supposed to be his helpmate." "We are supposed to endure hardship as a good soldier." I turned to her and told her, "Mom, you are a very good soldier."

She is. She endures hardship. Mom raised ten children. She lived and loved a man that was an alcoholic in their young lives. She stuck with him. She passed on to her kids truths from God's word; the importance of including God in our lives; speaking His words as we live our lives. I've listened to her repeatedly applying God's promises to every situation she hears of.

This write was inspired by Mom. She loves Jesus Christ and she loves when her children love Him too. I am thankful for this time we are sharing and am loving her thoughts, her wisdom, her time, and her memories.

Quotes about Mom's by others.

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln, US President.

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly. ~Ambrose Bierce, American writer.

An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. ~Spanish Proverb

A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled. ~Emily Dickinson, American poet.

One good mother is worth a hundred schoolmasters. ~George Herbert, Welsh poet, orator, priest.

All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother. ~Abraham Lincoln, US President.

Have you hugged your Momma lately?

There's nothing like a mama-hug. ~Adabella Radici, idk.


I would like to thank e-Mom of C H R Y S A L I S for thinking of me when she was passing out the Nice Matters Award. Thank you e-Mom!

7 comments:

Constance said...

Thanks for sharing your Mom with us today! What a legacy for your family! I love the walking together story, what a precious memory to have tucked away in your heart to warm you when life's chill wants to invade your soul!

I miss my Mom so much! She lives back in Missouri and when I spoke with her last night for my birthday, it made me realize that there will come a time when I will have a birthday and she won't be there to sing "Happy Birthday" to me any longer. Cherish those we love tody for we don't know what will unfold tomorrow.

Have a great day BBF and tell your Mom "howdy" from me!
Connie

Susannah said...

Your Mom raised 10 children and lives to talk about it? Wow, that IS a good soldier. Praise God for her faithfulness. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a believing Mom... you are so blessed! Hugs.

Connie Marie said...

BBF,
I am so behind on blogging. I finally stayed up late last night sharing my Mom! She will be with me a few more days then it will be back to blogging as usual. I miss reading everyone's blogs but I want to spend the time with my Mom so much.
Sorry I missed your birthday! Happy birthday (((((Connie)))))). I will pass on your greeting to my Mom. :-) Blessings to yours!

e-Mom!
Yes, she raised ten of us! Some of us she still is raising, ha! I do praise the Lord for her love for Him. I will be back to blogging in a few days, thanks for visiting with me today. May God bless your Mom today.

Constance said...

Hey there BBF!

I can't believe in light of my comment, I just found out my Mom has to have heart surgery on Monday! She has an infection where her pacemaker was put in and they are going to have to take it out and put in a new one on the other side of her chest. Please pray for her and for me, I'm feeling kind of weepy right about now. I'm not ready to have something happen to her, she's only 69.

Thanks,
Connie

Connie Marie said...

Big HUG coming your way Connie. (My Mom also has a pacemaker.) Will be praying that all will go well on Monday and that you will have her around for many more happy years.

Kevin said...

This was a beautiful post, Connie, thank you so much for sharing this part of your lives with us...

Connie Marie said...

Hey Kevin, thanks so much for stopping by. I would ask if you hugged your Momma lately but I am guessing she gets a lot of Kevin-style hugs! Have a great day. :-)