Thursday, October 11, 2007

Old and New

I was thinking about the last vote we had here in Alaska. A new Proposition that would protect private land owners from the government not compensating property (imminent domain) owners fairly for their private land/home. I thought wrongly when I figured Alaskans would support this proposition. The voters turned it down!

I could not believe that our voters would trust our well-being to the Borough so much that they would not put into place protections for the public. I have to believe that the voters did not realize they were voting for more government leeway.

Anyway, why did it come up for a vote? Isn't it only right that owners in the way of public improvement should be able to get out of their lifetime investment what it is worth? Yes, it is right.

I did a read on imminent domain and look at the map of all the places that are now dealing with this trouble. Map of Imminent Domain Cases. One thing this does support in my mind is that I should not put my heart into this old world. My home is not here - even though it is pleasant at times.

Mom and I had such a nice day yesterday. I brought her out to The Point and we made a small fire and I roasted marshmallows for her. I had one even though I am on a diet because how can one resist when your Momma asks, "Are you going to have one too?"

My son Klint has put a log-swing that he built out there and she sat in the swing, in the sunshine and enjoyed her marshmallows while I continued to pick up dead brush and put it on to the fire. As I worked I heard a car and car doors shutting. I stopped and said, "Oh, someone must be here." I listened and she hurried (as fast as she can hurry) over to me and said, "Somebody is here?" When I looked at her face she had marshmallow stuck on her chin and cheek. I laughed and told her and we both laughed. "You look like the grandchildren, Momma." What we heard was Calli coming home.

This morning we had a heavy frost and a big ol' cloud is hanging overhead, so it makes me wonder if we will get snow soon.

I picked up a new toy for Chewy and it squeaks. He squishes it and it squeaks and he cries. Over and over. I only give it to him occasionally when I am going to be busy so he can be occupied. Now I can hear Mom trying to console him. I might try to get a video of this dog. It's funny.

I thought I would share a poem this morning.

New Friends and Old Friends

Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
New-made friendships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.
Friendships that have stood the test---
Time and change -- are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray,
Friendship never knows decay.
For 'mid old friends tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old friends, alas may die,
New friends must their place supply.
Cherish friendship in your breast---
New is good, but old is best;
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.

Joseph Parry

I am loving cultivating this new, yet old friendship with my Mom. It is a silver and gold friendship.

3 comments:

TO BECOME said...

I love your post for today. I love that you love your Momma so much. I really liked the poem. It really says it.

I can't believe you might have snow. It is still in the lower 90s here. Very sunshiny. But snow, I wonder will I see it again before I die? I doubt it. connie from Texas

Constance said...

Good Morning BBF!

It in the 60's this morning, I just got back inside from walking Dave to his car and seeing him off for work. I will be glad when our highs are in the 60's and not just our lows. I love Fall and am eager for the first fire of the season in the fireplace. That will probably still be a ways off though!

I love how the circle of life comes around. Our mothers are the very first person we learn to love but for Moms, it's unconditional, love at first sight! It's wonderful to have this precious time with your Mom, sharing in the simplest of pleasures. How wonderful to be creating and storing memories!

I hope you 2 have many more years to continue doing just that!

Hugs,
Connie

Connie Marie said...

Good morning Connie's from Texas!
It is snowing! I tried to put up a video of the snow via blogger but I can't see it. Can you? If you can I won't try to upload it with YouTube. It might just be a setting on my computer. So much security that it's not any fun to be online!
Have a beautiful WARM day! HUGs