Friday, January 12, 2007

Rest, Rest, Rest

Kotya, Becca and I agreed that we had a very good week with Millie ----even if she did not visit back with us! We left Seattle encouraged with her improvements even if they were small improvements. We all agreed that the edema has gone down since we first laid eyes on her a week ago. Her vital signs are pretty stable, but change with the position of her body, especially if her head is too low.

The support from family and friends for Millie and her family during this time to me brings hope and joy to my heart just like the small, pink buds of spring we saw in Seattle. I know her family appreciates the prayers and concerns many have shown to them all. If you want to, please send a note to Millie via the Swedish Medical Center's EMAIL SERVICE.

It is uplifting to receive the letters that are read to Mil. I got to read the last batch of emails and it made me cry to know of the prayer support behind her each day. Don't forget to continue to pray for her recovery. We want it to be fast, but as Jody, one of her nurses said, "It is a slow and uncertain process when we are dealing with the brain." She also spoke to us yesterday and said that for a while they all weren't sure which way Millie would go but now the general feelings are that she is definitely on to the good way. That meaning the way to improving.

Her improvements are small ones and they appear to take time. This means that she will be needing care for a long while yet, and a lot of that care most likely will continue to be down in Seattle. I wish she could come home to Alaska but I am thankful for the superior care she is receiving in Seattle. I want her to be close to that. She has nurses that are good at their job caring for her and many that are excellent at their job. Millie is in good hands where she is.

I have realized during this trip to Seattle that her recovery is going to be long ----unless the LORD intervenes. I will contact her nurses for details of her improvements from time to time and share them here when I do. I don't plan to keep a daily report as her brain needs much rest; her recovery will take a long time; please keep saying prayers for her daily. I long for the day when I get the news that she has opened her eyes and that she recognizes her family. I pray that will be real soon. She was moving her eyes more the last two days we were there.

I noticed on Marie's updates the idea I gave her that she may have the tracheotomy removed soon ---no that is not right. She still depends on support for breathing and the last day we were there the machine was doing a lot of the work to breath along with her efforts. The nurse said they don't want her to breath all on her own yet as that would be too much work for her right now. She needs rest, rest, rest and she is doing exactly what she should be doing, resting. After spending time with Millie and listening to the nurses there I don't think that she will be having that air tube removed really soon.

The extent of the damages Millie received from the aneurysm and possible stroke she had on December 27 (I think that's the date of her collapse) won't be fully known until Millie can wake up and her doctors can determine what she can and can't do.

Until then, Millie continues on with the presence of Adam, Debbie and Courtney there with her. I am not sure how long they will be able to be there with her as she sleeps. God bless you with a fast recovery, dear Millie.

The LORD bless you and keep you, the LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you, the LORD lift up His countenance on you and give you peace.

I love you, Millie.


Kerri said...

I'm so glad you were able to visit. Adam called me last night and let me talk to Millie. That really meant a lot to me.

Welcome back home.

Connie Marie said...

Thank you Carrie. It is good to be home. I'm glad you got to talk to Millie.