I was reading about our brain. It consists of five major areas. It is an incredible organ and what an incredible Creator we have. Most of the time we don't even realize what a lot of work our brain does to help us learn, use and remember everything in our daily lives and the whole time it is telling our lungs to inhale, our heart to beat and keeping us balanced as we walk, just to name a few things! I am so impressed.
Then there are all the physicians that have spent their lives learning how to treat our brains when they have been injured. All that knowledge, it is a gift from God to us who struggle on Earth in a fallen state.
Here are a few things I wrote down to share.
The Limbic System
- Basic emotions and feelings which result in your own personality
- Fears, memories are created here
- Ability to remember is here.
- It is known as the center of the emotions.
- The largest part of your brain and the most complex
- It is divided into two halves, two half balls or two half spheres or hemispheres.
- Processes information logically, helps us to read, speak and write language or compute an equation.
- Processes spatial information such as recognizing a friends face, appreciating artwork.
- Coordinates all of the bodies movements
- Stores learned body movements. This is where information is stored when you learn to ride a bike and when you have not been on one for a while, this is where you remember how you did it.
- The brain stem is an extention of the spinal cord.
- It manages messages going between the brain and the rest of the body.
- Controls basic functions such as breathing, swallowing, heart rate, blood pressure.
- Brain stem also controls consciousness, being awake or being sleepy.
- Recieves information from the skin and muscles and passes it on to the brain
- Sends messages from the brain to the body.
Psalm 139:14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.
That comes from a chapter in the Bible that my high school counselor, Carol, shared with me when I prayed with her about fears that I had and worked to overcome. It is one of my favorite Psalms now.
"You understand my thought afar off" Good verse when I think of Millie and where are her thoughts right now. So comforting. That also comes from 139.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting."
I love Bible Gateway. It makes looking up verses so easy!
Tomorrow will be the one month day (27th) since Millie has been hospitalized. Be sure to check out Millie's Updates for any new news about her condition posted by her daughter Doris.