Monday, December 18, 2006

Snowing Hardly Enough

"How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated! I should hardly admire more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat." --Henry David Thoreau, 1856

I found that quote at snowcrystals.com. Check out the three Galleries of Snowflakes taken by Kenneth G. Libbrecht using a special photo lens. There is a lot of information and videos of snowflakes at this site. Beautiful tiny creations! What an incredibly creative God! I've thought that thought so many times when I look at Creation. He could have stopped at one of everything, but He didn't!

It's snowing a little bit right now but I don't really expect a lot. Recent winters with hardly any snowfall have taught me not to hold my breath when it comes to lots of snow.

Growing up on Kodiak Island we didn't get much snow either. When it did come, it was a happy day. I remember playing on top of snow drifts higher than my head. Being the careful child that I was, I only peeked into the tunnels the young boys would dig. I learned to keep a respectful distance between myself and some of those guys. I've had my share of stinging, wet, snowballs on my bare legs walking home from school!

We had a freezing cold first ever racing day on the lake, put on by Klint, Calli, and Kris complete with a finish line. Klint plowed a race track after a good first snowfall. Kris even made ice lanterns. The guys studded up their 4 wheeler tires and raced around the track all afternoon into the evening. I even raced once! I came in dead last but still had fun!

I need to wrap gifts.

No comments: