Thursday, August 10, 2006

Seward, Alaska

After camping at Kincaid Park on saturday night and spending Sunday at the races we closed up the RV and took a drive down to Seward to meet up with Doug's former co-workers on a halibut fishing charter boat, the "Legacy".

It was not planned that I would go on the boat with the guys but that I was going to settle in for a day and a half to do some long anticipated beading. Just as I was making some fresh coffee, Doug calls and says some guys didn't show up and that there is room and then he asked if I wanted to join them! I surprisingly, and quickly decided that I would go against my first choice to stay for a quiet afternoon of beading and watching beachcombers go by at the RV park next to Resurrection Bay and instead I would join them. I said, "okay I want to go." (I think he almost dropped the phone!)

I went back to the Seward Boat Harbor to meet them and out to sea we all went! We anchored out in front of Bear Glacier. Doug pulled in several good sized salmon that afternoon.

We called several of the family to see if anyone could come down to fill up the charter since there was still more room and Marie was able to drive down to join us for the second day of fishing.

The next morning we got up early and were out on the ocean again by 6:30 A.M. Captain Steve took us out 2 1/2 hours from port and dropped anchor. No sooner had Marie dropped her line she pulled in the biggest catch of the day. I don't even know how much the halibut weighed but it was almost bigger than her. (It was a great disappointment when my camera's batteries died before I got a picture, but we have another one coming from Marie's camera.)

Saltwater Safari Company was the charter service we went out on (great service and lots of experience) and the Skipper made sure our ride there and back was a MAJOR treat for the eyes. What a beautiful ocean/coast world God has created! We saw sea lions, puffins, all kinds of other seabirds, killer whales, salmon, halibut, yellow eyes, ling cod, sharks!

If you ever get up to Alaska, plan to have a ride in a boat. Alaska from the sea is so incredibly beautiful! We had great weather to boost, as you can see from these pictures.

"Then God said, "Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens." So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." Genesis 1:20-22

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Seward on Sunday for a last minute day trip. It was definitely a beautiful day out there!

Constance said...

What a treat for this Texas Gal to read your post today! I can not wait to get my butt up to Alaska! Last summer while hiking in Glacier NP and taking in the wonderment of God's creation, I remembered how it says that all things are created for HIS pleasure. I thought about God smiling when HE looks out at HIS handiwork. It gives me pleasure as well and for that smallest, miniscule, minutest nano second, I share in the very heart of my Creator God!
"Taste & see that the Lord is good!"