Thursday, May 18, 2006

Friendship


Awesome clouds in Wasilla, Alaska

Friendship

Oh, the comfort---the inexpressible comfort of
feeling safe with a person,
Having neither to weigh thoughts,
Nor measure words----but pouring them
All right out---just as they are-
Chaff and grain together--
Certain that a faithful hand will
Take and sift them---
Keep what is worth keeping---
And with the breath of kindness
Blow the rest away.
---Dinah Maria Mulock Craik

I have read this poem many times online and have always liked it. The first time I read it a friend named "Kitty**" shared it. It is the first poem in the new little poetry book my daughter Karla and her family gave to me for my birthday. "Treasury of Friendship Poems" Edited by Patricia S. Klein.

How many of us feel safe with a person? Most of us weigh our thoughts and words before we say anything to someone else. We have learned through time that when we blurt out our thoughts many times we are misunderstood and treated badly for it. How many of us have a friend that we can say whatever is on our mind to and he or she will know that we are speaking out of our hurt and our desires? Are we friends that will "blow the rest away" like the poem says?

I know Jesus Christ is such a friend. He knows my heart and I am thankful.

I have also been blessed with Doug's friendship. His friendship is such that I can say what I want, many times in anger ---he listens and understands.

I hope you all have friends or more importantly, I hope that you are friends such as this poem describes.

1 comment:

Constance said...

Friendship is one of God's very best ideas! Dave is definitely my "bestest" friend - he tells me what I need to hear even when I don't want to hear it. My best friend Brenda is another person that I can bear my soul to and I know she won't think any less of me for doing it.

I just recently had a heart to heart with my son Charles. I told him that in his life, he may have a lot of acquaintances but if he has a couple of trusted, true friends, then that is more than enough! We were created for fellowship, with God and with others. How sad that there are some people who never have either one!

Connie