Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Warming Trend

Old Harbor Lagoon I took this picture of the Old Harbor Lagoon when I was there several years ago. Sitkalidak Island in the background.

We have had a very nice fall. It has been warm. Here in Houston we have had frost once, maybe twice the past week and it was light. I remember when our kids were in school, the first day of school was usually very cold with heavy frost everywhere! Now we have enjoyed warm temperatures - above freezing- longer and earlier in the spring than we used to. MSNNBC 's "Arctic ice melting faster as temperatures climb" (Link included) news article has pictures of the diminishing sea ice. Associated Press reports that the Arctic sea ice is "20 percent less than the average of end-of-summer ice pack cover measurements recorded since 1978." That has to be contributing to all the flooding down South and in Mexico today.

I remember the predictions someone gave of how the Earth would someday be flooding everywhere. The article I read included maps of the lands predicted to be swamped with water. I don't even remember who wrote it or who predicted it, but I always remember the maps. Most of Florida ended up being part of the Gulf! I can't help but think of that article when I look at pictures of New Orleans standing in water. Maybe New Orleans and the South should rebuild with houseboats! They can paddle away, paddle to the grocery store, paddle to Micky Dee's, paddle over to the neighbors. Just think, no more grass to mow! I see there is a new storm troubling the South again.

Here in our corner of Alaska, Twin Lake is higher than it normally is, and it has been since early spring! We thought it might be from a very industrious family of beavers at the outlet of Twin Lake. We checked earlier in the spring but didn't find a beaver dam.

Right now, it looks like we will have another warmer than normal, sunny, and windy day here.

Weather Summaries for Alaska: The Old Farmer's Almanac weather predictions for Alaska. Farmer's Almanac.com - Weather Summary for Alaska

7 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Can you just about smell it? Remember how it used to freeze sometimes? Salt water freezes weird.

Kerri said...

I just had a conversation with a woman at work today. She was looking at an aerial shot of our island and was surprised at how many lakes we have. She said that she saw something on TV about how the water is rising and it showed more and more of Florida being covered by water.

I've noticed the warmer fall and winter seasons, too. For someone who loves the cold, it's very depressing. hehe

Connie Marie said...

Does it really get cold there? hehe

Kerri said...

Hahah! Not anymore...that's why it's depressing! I remember being able to lie down and disappear in the snow (okay, I was 3...but still...we don't get as much these days). I also remember getting ice fog. I remember being able to play on all the frozen lakes. Nowadays, the lakes with enough room for playing don't feeze solid enough. If they do, it's only for a few days and we're back to rain.

Anonymous said...

hey connie this is aj josh's wife i was wondering how much was the owner asking for those puppies and who do i need to get a hold of for them?? my email is lil_aj21@hotmail.com thanks! :D

Constance said...

I have tried to catch up on your site since getting back from our vacation. I have thoroghly enjoyed reading it. Here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area we have FINALLY gotten some weather that actually resembles Fall! Yesterday I went to Braums (Dairy store) to buy milk and the teenage kid behind the corner was complaining that it was cold outside! Can you believe that he though mid 50's is cold!? What an idiot! (grin) Bring it on! I miss Winter since living in Texas for the last 12+ years. Of course, I'm one of those "fair weather winter lovers". Growing up in the midwest, winter wasn't like it is farther north but it was still great, as a kid. For what it's worth, if they rebuild New Orleans, they should consider doing it Venitian style with canals etc!

Connie Marie said...

I passed on your message AJ!

Constance, I hear all about 50f shivers from my family in FL. It happens when you get to live in sunny weather all the time. Your idea of canals sounds more fun than houseboats.

kerri we still get all those, but not as much snow as we used to get. When I say that I always wonder if someday it will be found and then dumped on us all... mountains and mountains of forgotten snow!

Always mistakes that make us chuckle, akeskileut!