Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Secret

Several years ago my husband and I traveled from Alaska to Pennsylvania where I had surgery. Microvascular decompression. While recovering we were able to take in some sights and even travel to Michigan where we visited with family.
On our road trip I found a recipe book called "Tasteful Treasures" in a small Amish town in Ohio. It has so many poems included with the recipes, I decided to bring it home with me. I don't think I have ever made anything out of the book yet, but here is a poem I enjoyed reading today.
The Secret I learned a secret From a friend the other day, You will never get in trouble If you are careful what you say. If someone tells a falsehood, And you know it is not true, Do not repeat the story, It will hurt them if you do. If you hear a good word spoken About someone you know, Tell him; it will help him, And his love to others show. The secret of this story... Just be careful every day; It is better not to talk at all If you have nothing nice to say.

If you have nothing nice to say be quiet. I heard my Momma say that before. My Mom left the village and went to high school in Scranton, Pennsylvania. I left the village (as many kids did in those days) and went to a small Bible high school in Palmer. My kids just left home and went to high school down the road a bit.

I passed on the great words of wisdom to all five of my own:
"If you can't say something nice then be quiet!"

1 comment:

Kerri said...

As Thumper would say, "If you can't say nothin' nice, than don't say nothin' at all."

:o)