Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Brain Waves & Music

A thought crossed my mind while I was talking to my husband about how I enjoyed listening to the tune of the "Sounds of Silence". (I don't get tired of it.) I said to him, "It must fit my brainwaves real good." Which brought me to this subject. Do we tend to enjoy the music tempos that are compatible with the waves our brains are emitting? The only knowledge I have of brain activity is when I would hear, "He/she is brain dead" on t.v. shows. I have no idea how doctors determine that. My knowledge of brainwaves is lacking, so I decided to do some reading on it, specially brainwaves and music. Music can inspire us to jump into something wholeheartedly (like exercise) or to close our eyes and relax. Music can be healing. In the Old Testament, King Saul was temporarily healed by young David's musical ability. While he was King, Saul willfully disobeyed God and so went from being in right standing as God's chosen leader of Israel to being a very troubled man who had lost the favor of God. Then Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD.” But Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel.” I Samuel 15:24 - 26. When his mind was at its chaotic worst he would call for David to come and play his instrument to soothe his troubled mind. "And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him." I Samuel 16:23. Sometimes I like to listen to certain types of music and then other times that same music will irritate me. When (and if) I exercise I like to listen to something with a steady fast beat. Whiling reading, I don't pick music that invades my thoughts. When I am napping, soft and quiet is all that is acceptable. Each of these activities also have brain waves going on that are as different as the music I choose. There appears to be four categories of brain waves ranging from the most active to least active. Beta Waves - fully engaged in activity, 15 - 40 cycles a second. Alpha Waves - relaxing, 9 - 14 cycles a second. Theta Waves - daydreaming, 5 - 8 cycles a second. Delta Waves - sleeping, 1.5 - 4 cycles a second. I see that you can be in beta and still have alpha, theta and delta lurking in the background, or you can be in theta and still have beta and all the others popping in and out sort of like your predominant personality type. (Predominant personalities, that is a topic for another day!) I found so much information out there to read. I don't know how true any of it is but I do know that there is music that I have enjoyed and music that I don't like at all. I believe that it has a lot to do with my personality, enviroment and quite possibly a lot to do with brainwave activity at the moment. There are sites that promote using the brainwaves to heal, to go into a meditative state, to even grow hair back! There was talk of using it in New Age movement. That's stuff which I steer away from. I read that New Age has roots in astrology, channeling, tarot cards and many other teachings/ways God warns against dabbling in. In fact, Saul ended up going to a seer of some sort. I totally put my trust in the God of the Bible and have accepted His teaching that the only acceptable sacrifice that will make the Way back to Him possible, is Jesus Christ's death and resurrection. I am The Way... The Truth.... The Life, no man comes to the Father, but by me. (Jesus Christ) I think most of us realize that music is used by shopping malls to keep us serenely happy to be browsing in their stores. After making our purchases they lull us into accepting our major spending sprees by continuing to play ELEVATOR music in our ears as we go home! My conclusion on this reading adventure is: I know that music does affect my emotions and my attitudes towards what I am doing. I know that it aids in relaxation and it can rejuvenate me. It can be soothing or irritating. I still don't know if the music we choose to listen to matches our dominant brainwaves. I also think music will alter my brainwaves. Like, "I didn't like that song when I first heard it, but if you keep listening it kindda grows on ya!" I believe that music will affect the way we behave. While raising my kids, I found that the music they were listening to had a big impact on how they related to their family. So, the music's tempo alters the brainwaves. Chaotic music results in chaotic brainwaves. Here's information I found while I was out there surfing the internet waves: There are studies for making music using your brainwaves too. Teachers! Alpha waves make learning more sure. "researchers have speculated that a fully functioning brain can generate as much as 10 watts of electrical power" Learn About Binaural Beats My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands; For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you. Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones. Proverbs 3:1-8

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I learned early on in my teaching that when kids start to get antsy and restless, it helps to put on some nice relaxing music. Play it just loud enough to hear it and they immediately quiet themselves down and become more productive.