Wednesday, July 27, 2005

EEK! What are those yellow things in the trees?

It's great to know that nothing ever surprises God! Every time I see the first few yellow leaves after June 21st and the diminishing daylight, I am never ready! But no matter how much I have tried to convince myself that it is from lack of water... something, somewhere... seems to be laughing at me. Here in South Central Alaska, the leaves are warning us already that we should prepare for less warmth, less sunshine, less green stuff! I am hoping for a long Indian Summer! Today I was trying to figure out what the name of the little bird in Old Harbor that always sings in the summer --- EEE-WEE-WOW-wah-WEEEEEEE is. I have listened to gazillions of bird voices online! Birds are so cool. They do what they are supposed to do --- all the time! Nobody tells them how... but year after year.. here they come and there they go! The swallows that I pictured on my blogg will be traveling clear down to South America! No wonder they are always in such a hurry, they got a long way to go! They left and then we saw the other birds flying in peace without the swallows dive bombing them and ... my word! Speaking of birds- a huge flock of ravens just flew by my house! CAW! CAW! CAW! Looks like they are playing in the wind. Those ravens are naughty. They like to tease the dog, pull out insulation and trash the trash! Bad birds. I always wondered why those Southeast Indians liked them. Did you know that the Bible says that God feeds the ravens? Would have to read that in context again to see why that was even mentioned. This is the site I spend a lot of time looking for the name of the little bird. If anyone knows its name, please let me know. Thanks! Percevia-Identify Birds in North America! What else is happening in our wonderful Alaska? Men are getting their gear together for hunting season, I bet! Time to refill the freezer with moose meat. MMMM! Good meat. Silver salmon are going to be running soon if not already. We hope to go silver fishing in a couple of weeks. This coming weekend is the Howling Huskies Gospel Festival which should be fun. Enough from me!

4 comments:

Kerri said...

I happen to be one of "those Southeast Indians" and I can tell you that there are many legends about the Raven. The Raven was a trickster. He'd use his trickery to bring good fortune to the people and sometimes to cause mischief. One of the legends tells how Raven stole the sun and put it in the sky for all to enjoy. I won't get into all that right now, though. Oh, by the way, I'M a Raven! hehehe :o)

Connie Marie said...

Heyyyyyyy! Did I ever tell you that those ravens can be fun to watch... and such purdy, shiny feathers! hehehe.

(I think I read that you were a Raven from one of your past posts and I know you are an Indian from Southeast.)

I know a few Indians, and I know that some revere the raven --- I thought I wouud throw that in just for stirring up controversy!

Hehehe Maybe I am sort of Raven myself--- mischevious like one anyway (Blows a black feather off of my shirt.)

Kerri said...

I thought it was funny, actually, not controversial! :o) Ravens bug me sometimes, too...especially when I'm trying to sleep and they're having a convention in my yard.

Connie Marie said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I have posted there and will wait to see if anyone can help with the name of the little bird!