Monday, July 11, 2005

That Big Ugly Beetle!

EWWWWWWW! It's a White Spotted Sawyer and not the Asian version of the long-horned beetles. It is considered a wood boring bug and when it is sunny and hot... they are out looking for mates. Ewwww! Anyway, one of these beetles decided to join us for lunch and Alexis picked up the beetle and even chased her Aunt Marie with it. (Not for very long, Aunt's can be threatening when they have to be!) The bug is a toughie and when she held it down beside this rock, it held on and picked it up! Gives me the creeps to think about it landing on my hair and holding on that hard when trying to shake it off! You can read more about them here. I am surprised no one said anything about that spider below! (Not sure what kind of spider it is. I don't want to read about spiders to find out, the beetle readings made me feel creepy enough.) Checking out Denali Mountain While out camping we stopped by the Denali Viewpoint along the Parks Highway (Approximately Mile 137) . It is a fantastic place to stop to take pictures, especially if Denali decides to come out of hiding. Lots of parking, bathrooms and picnic tables and an enjoyable walk up a hill to a viewing area. We saw bits and pieces of the Denali while we were there. I would guess the best time to stop there would be early in the morning before the clouds build up. Still, what we saw was IMPRESSIVE! That is a big, big mountain and I have no idea why anyone wants to climb it!AJ in the wind We took a short ride from our campsite to the viewpoint and here is our Grandson AJ enjoying the windy ride. lol He was so funny. (They got to ride in the back of Gramppa's truck.) This camping trip was fun, bugs an all! The mosquitoes and biting flies were bad and they were hardly stopped by the bug dope. The only relief was climbing into our campers or tents. The little no-see-ums were attracted to the warm smoky areas! (There were no biting bugs at the Denali Look out and was a nice relief to be there.) Candlelight Stares One of the evenings the kids played a game by candlelight. Here they are trying to look spooky by candlelight. Calli & Klint, Marie and Kim. Kim is Mom to the grandchildren shown in this post. We plan to be out camping again soon. Lexie, AJ, Ashlee Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I'm sure if you ask any of the climbers, their answer would be "because it's there". I, however, am not one of those climbers. hehe

That beetle is freaky looking...and I'm not afraid of bugs. hehe, if I had found a bug like that as a child I would have done the same thing as Alexis.

AJ is so cute sitting in the wind! I loved riding in the back when I was small. Ya know, back when I had short hair. ;o)

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the pictures.