Friday, July 15, 2005

Smokin' !

This is our whole family minus two. Karla and Kim's husbands were both working. But this is almost the whole bunch! They all came over to have dinner together for a belated Dad's Day dinner. We had turkey and all the fixings. We had planned to drive down for dipping salmon today but woke up to so much smoke from wildfires that it is a bit unnerving to leave. The smoke is very thick and smells strongly. I hear that most of the fires were started by lightning! I am including a few pictures that I took earlier today. Now the smoke has become thicker and smellier. (bleah) Campfire smoke is okay when you are camping, but when it's in the house...not good! My daughter informed me that the Fox Creek fire has doubled in size since yesterday. Supposedly that is where all this smoke is migrating from. The Fox Creek fire is down in the Soldotna/Kenai area. We had the Millers Reach Fire come through this area eight years ago this summer and in the pictures you can still see the results of it. (Burned and ugly trees still standing.) It is horrible to smell smoke from wildfires after you've had to clean up and rebuild from one. I hope that the wildfires are able to be contained soon. I see on The Alaska Fire Service map that there is a new one burning in Wasilla near the area that we lived before moving to Big Lake. I pray that no homes get burned down. This picture was taken looking towards Wasilla. Looking towards Baldy Mountain and Hatcher's Pass. This is taken looking towards Sleeping Lady or Mount Susitna which lies across from Anchorage. The Fire Service website shows all the active wildfires and can be found by clicking on this LINK and then going to Current Fire Information and that link will bring up a map that shows all the recent/active fires here in Alaska. You can find a fire and Zoom into it to see it closer. It is a great website!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

You've got a very attractive family! I hope you all had a nice time together.

Wildfires are scary. The only one I've been near was in another state. I hope there is a way they can contain them soon.