Thursday, July 14, 2005

Goin' Bananas!

Camai'i! We needed to pick up some things from the grocery store the other day so we REMEMBERED to stop by our brand new Premium Food Warehouse here in the Big Lake - Pittman Road area so that we could check it out for the first time. It's a great place for buying food in bulk and so close to us too! We loved that we were able to drive there in less than 20 minutes, park, go shopping and be back home in an hour! Traffic going to and from Wasilla has been horrible this summer and going to Anchorage to shop is not something we do very much, so this is going to be quite an asset for us "keeping $it$ in the Valley" people. Anyway, we picked up some bananas for .89 lb. (.99 at local grocery stores) and we have been enjoying them for breakfast. This morning I was really looking closely at one of them and figured the way it looked, maybe it used to have a flower. I thought I would check it up online to see what the banana flower looked like and if it even had a flower at one time. Here's some of my little research on them. I thought it might be interesting topic to share. Goin' bananas in Alaska! The flower is huge but not as impressive looking as something like an orchid or rose. I would love to have a banana tree growing in my back yard! But then, I would have to have a warm backyard... and to have a warm back yard I would be living somewhere other than Alaska! So I think we will continue to stop by the store and pick up bananas from somewhere tropical. The bananas we bought were imported from Guatemala.... which is someplace else I want to look at online! Isn't the internet incredible? Makes our world seem smaller somehow! What a beautiful place to be, under a shady banana tree...unless... there is something huge, creepy and crawly there too! Here is a recipe for using up all those banana flowers in your back yard! Banana Flower Salad. The recipe comes from a family that lives and runs a plant nursery in India. Check it out with this link if you have time. Beautiful tropical plants! I believe you might be able to find canned banana flowers at an Asian grocery store here in Alaska. "God made heaven and earth. He created the sea and everything else. God always keeps His word." Psalms 146:6

2 comments:

Kerri said...

That was an intersting read. That's great that you have a good shopping place so close to home, too!

Connie Marie said...

Hey kerri! I hope you are doing okay. Your hubby is off today, right? It is hard to function when someone so close is gone, but hang in there! God bless you both.